Total US debt has hit $14.237 trillion! Watch the video to understand why the debt crisis in the US is getting more serious every passing day.
Posts tagged ‘debt’
Debt has today become a part of lives of the Americans. Most of them do not mind carrying the burden of debt. Some have become used to it while others do not care enough about it. But there is no reason why you can’t enjoy a debt-free life. If your mounting debt is taking a toll on you then read on to know how you can go about clearing your debts.
1) Start planning: This might sound simple but it is actually the most important part. Make a list of your debts and the corresponding interest on each of them. When you are planning, you should have funds set aside for your daily utilities. Make up a realistic payment plan so that it is affordable and easy for you to tackle your debts one by one.
2) Begin to save: Most of us end up spending a lot on impulse purchases. When you need to buy something, plan for it and start saving. Relying on credit cards to make purchases can just worsen you financial situation. Therefore, create a savings account and put a small amount of money every month into this account. This can also serve as your emergency fund.
3) Prepare a budget: It is very crucial to track your income and expenditure. Budget helps you to know where your money is being spent and thus can help you to weed out unnecessary expenditures. A budget will help you to remain within your financial boundaries and you will never have to worry about falling into debt.
4) Never use credit card: The simple formula for this is “If you cannot purchase with what is there in your wallet, better do not buy it at all”. Using credit card is almost a fashion statement today and people use it for almost all their purchases even if they cannot afford it. This ultimately lands them in debt. Use your cash and you will stay away from debt for good.
5) Pay your balance in full every month: If you want to stay away from debt then it is very important to pay your balances in full each month. This way you won’t be carrying any balance with you. You will never have to worry about whether you will be able to meet the minimum payment because your credit card has already been paid in full.
Modern life is expensive and it is causing a lot of people to become victims of debt. But if you are careful with your finances then you can avoid debt easily and always enjoy a debt-free life!
The last 30 years has seen an exponential rise in the growth of credit card industry. This has also led to the massive increase in consumer debt across the world. There are many options of debt relief available, viz. debt settlement, debt consolidation, debt negotiation etc. Let’s take a closer look at debt settlement, the most preferred option of resolving debts today.
How debt settlement works?
Debt settlement programs help both the creditor and the loan taker mutually if done in a proper way. In the process of debt settlement, the creditor accepts a sum lesser than what the loan taker actually owes him. The creditor generally agrees to this compromised payment because he will actually stand to lose all the money if the customer files bankruptcy. If you are not sure about settling your debts yourself, you can take help from a debt settlement lawyer. The lawyer will negotiate with the creditors on your behalf to lower your payments and reach an amount acceptable to them. A skilled lawyer can reduce your payments by 40%-60%.
The duration of the process of debt settlement depends upon the total number of debts, the kind of debt, the total amount of the outstanding debt and the amount the debtor can afford to settle. Generally, settlement cases take 15 to 36 months to complete. The more you can pay, the earlier your debts get resolved.
Debt settlement helps you in the following ways:
1) You do not have to pay the total owed amount
2) Your debts are cleared much faster
3) You avoid filing bankruptcy
4) You get rid of creditor harassment.
But remember that debt settlement damages your credit score when you first enroll. However, this damage is not permanent and starts to recover as your debts get settled. You have to take care to stay away from scam debt settlement companies. Ensure that the company is a genuine one registered with the BBB.